6 February 2011

03.02.11
Su Blackwell
In my one of my first blog entries I wrote about paper cutting artist Su Blackwell, I returned to looking at her work again today whilst trying to decide what it is I want to communicate through my look book. I was considering expressing escapism as it is a theme relevant to Lucy, her work, her bibliotherapy and the nature of books in general, however I wasn't sure of the imagery I would use. Some of Su Blackwell's pieces, I feel, really express a feeling of escaping/escapism using forms such as butterflies and birds, there is a definite sense of freedom as well as the capturing of a precious moment, a theme also connected with Lucy's work. Here are some examples of Su Blackwell's work that I feel express escapism beautifully, subtly and through the medium of paper;













Whether its a butterfly or bird literally flying out from the piece or a story bursting to life out of a books page, creating a whole new miniature world, Su Blackwell's work expresses escapism beautifully.


This piece is also by Su Blackwell but is a change from her usual paper cutting, 'Safety pin birds', as the name suggests, are tiny sculptures of little birds made solely from safety pins. I was drawn to this piece because the birds are so tiny and delicate but then you look closer and realise what they are made from, sharp metal pins that completely contrast with the idea of a sweet little bird. It reminded me of how some of Lucy's work may deal with themes of childhood and use attractive imagery but there is sometimes a more adult undercurrent at play as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment